Hi everyone, this week has been a bit of a wild ride but we are getting through it. The Lord has been good to us and we are trying our best to do His work.
On Tuesday we got to help out the youth in the ward with an activity that the adults set up for them. It was the game of life and there were different stations and activities for them. They had to go buy cars, houses, pay insurance and taxes. We were in charge of the entertainment station where they could go pay to play games. We took some liberty, and we pretty much were running a casino by the end of it. I fooled those silly kids out of like 7,000 dollars. But it was really funny. Then afterwards we went and talked about it with them and had a debrief. They asked why we were doing it and what we learned. One of the leaders asked who in the room wanted to get married some day and all 4 of us missionaries shot our hands straight in the air and everyone laughed.
On Wednesday we had exchanges with other missionaries. Elder Williams and Elder Hammer our district leader come over early in the morning to play basketball and it was fun. I'm getting better little by little. I'm gonna be a unit when I get home. Then we spent the day out working. I was with Elder Williams and it was a good day and we found someone new to teach. We also had some fun lessons together that night and we learned from each other. Overall good exchange.
Thursday not a ton happened, but again we found someone new to teach and she seems really willing to hear messages about Christ. Very exciting. We also had a good time with our friends from Colombia that we're teaching. We read the Book of Mormon and watched some of the videos with them from Gospel Library. They're loving it and it's so great being a part of their progression.
On Friday we had another exchange with Elder Kolberg and Elder Smith. I went with Elder Smith, but first we had a meeting in the morning. We drove down to the mission office and talked about how we can help train the missionaries to be better teachers and servants of the Lord. One leader there said the analogy of sharpening a saw. That we could sit there and saw at wood as hard as we can, or we could take 10-15 minutes to sharpen our saw and then be more efficient at sawing the wood after. I like that, because when we do take the time to do the little things right it pays off. If we want to be the best disciples of Christ that we can be we need to work at it. Then on exchanges while we were teaching that night we found out one of the ladies we are teaching comes from a line of witches in their family, and was perhaps practicing some witchcraft. Well she told us she was, so it was definitely happening. That was kind of a curveball.
Then we had soccer night and Elder Gray, who doesn’t even play soccer but is one of the biggest competitors I know, got a hat trick. He scored three goals in a row in back to back to back games. That was pretty cool.
Then the weekend was good. We spent a lot of time out finding, and then teaching our friends during the evenings. And Sunday, we had some of our friends come and join us at church. It's always nice to have them come and feel the spirit there.
Sunday evening we had a lesson with our witchcraft friend and we invited a very good member who is great at teaching. He helped explain to her why it's not good and why she needs to make sure to not do it, (it's been a long time since she's done it, but some weird stuff came up). Anyways, this member, Hermano Navas, really nailed it, he related to her really well, and he helped her understand that living the Gospel is the best thing she can do for her and her family. Now she's 100% down.
We also watched a multi faith fireside about the Old Testament Tabernacle. There was a Catholic Priest, Jewish Rabbi, the Leader of a Muslim Mosque in the area and more. That was really cool and all the speakers were pretty funny. The Muslim man was fasting for Ramadan, and at the end he said, "please excuse, I need to go, I'm very hungry and very thirsty and I want to go before I pass out while driving". It was a really special meeting where I learned a lot.
Today for p-day we climbed a mountain. That's right, a mountain. Last night the AP’s called us and said, “hey do you want to walk straight up the mountain tomorrow?” And after a little convincing we agreed to do it.
We woke up at 4:00 in the morning to send off our roommate Elder Standage. He's flying to the Dominican Republic today to serve his mission there. I didn't fall back asleep and so after another hour or so we got ready for the hike. We showed up to the AP's house at like 6:00ish and then we took off along with Elder Hammer and Elder Williams who came with us. We started hiking at 6:40 and it was so cool. We eventually hit snow up top too and that was fun. The views from up top were so cool and it was just funny to think that we were on the mission and we hiked up to the top there. Good times. Afterwards we went and ate some Chic-Fil-A. What a day. I'm pretty tired.
Well everyone, I want to say thank you to all of you. You're the best. I hope you are all doing well and that life is going good. Reach out to me if you would like and let me know how you're doing. Love you all.
-Elder Golden


No comments:
Post a Comment